Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Music, pictures, and college

I like this photo of me taken last year


And now Naka Kon photos.
Feels weird, but good. Even though Malcolm Reynolds is not anime I still found plenty of fans and even Kaylee, who disappeared for all of the next day. I just happened to find her on the next day, the last. Anyway, feels good man. I am nothing special, I've done hardly anything worth applause, but the whole concept of simply putting on a costume, dressing like someone else, and then having person after person ask for a photo of you, it's....very welcome. I felt like a celebrity. All the good fame without any of the drama, felt good man.

My tuxedo complimented my costume in that it was also Malcolm Reynolds, from the gold vest to the red tie. Which made it all the better when I found Kaylee dressed up in the fluffy dress from the Shindig episode.

It was a masquerade, a formal ball. And I say, they did a very good job. I polished up my waltz (after learning how to from youtube). And.....it makes me sad....All the dances I've been to before....middle school dances....high school homecoming, winter, homecoming in the spring, and even prom...just.....The formal ball was designed to be a social event, because, if you remember your history, formal dances back then were social events as well. See a pretty lady? Ask her to dance. And then courtesy her, and move on. Today's high school dances and proms.....make me sad. The procedure with them is you find a date, cause if you don't you're stuck with your charms (if you have any) to work up the courage to ask someone that knows exactly who you are and what kind of a reputation you have, and if they have a date then you can kiss that possibility goodbye.

And when you do dance it's one of 5 ways. 1: Slow dances (my personal favorite before Naka kon) but they are simply hold onto your partner intimately or awkwardly (there is no middle ground) and spin in a circle forever, yeah, not much happening. 2: grinding or any other dance meant purely for sexual appeal (or just sex with clothes on) They have appeal, but little intimacy/romance, the kind of dance commonly characterized with a one-night-stand. Where Slow dancing has too much romance which means you either dance awkwardly with a stranger or dance romantically with your date (and no one else coincidentally). 3: Boring side to side dancing that you do when you're also having a conversation, most commonly with a literal circle of friends and acquaintances. 4: Wild dancing that only hyper, drunk, or mentally challenged individuals do for whatever reasons. and 5: Routine dances: self explanatory, Cupid Shuffle, Soulja boy, line dancing, etc. The kind of dances that make you think you're good at dancing when you're really just good at following instructions and rhythm.

The formal masquerade that I attended on the other hand, was built to be a social event. Everything from the masks to the checklist to the roses. The masks obviously (should) make you anonymous, and so long as you can impress them with a blank slate, you'll be just fine. A little checklist and pens were handed out to each guest, the items on the checklist included: dance with someone with feathers in their mask, complete a formal turn (dance move), let your partner take the lead, you take the lead, etc, where they would put their signature in there. And then later on, roses were handed out, and the goal was to dance with someone that doesn't have a rose and then give them your rose.
Even the dance style is perfect for strangers keeping the ideal level of romance without too much. Waltz is a very formal kind of dance. Hand clasping, and relatively easy steps that look impressive when done smoothly and correctly. Wouldn't ever be able to say that about slow dancing.

It should come to no surprise that I was the guy that went to homecoming dances and prom and danced with no more than 3 people, most likely only 1, maybe even 2, but no stranger or....cute girls #^_^#
However, at that formal masquerade, with sophisticated romantic music, dim lights, and the perfect atmosphere....I lost count of how many ladies I danced with, somewhere around 20-30. There were even some cute girls that I danced with that were noticeably shy....SHY!!!.....normally IM SHY, not the other way around!!! If I was single I would've pursued 4 or 5 of them for something besides just a dance partner. But I did not want to play with their heart, just help give them a night to remember.

After all that, all I can say is "I want to forever waltz"

Finally, some pictures, did not expect to go on about dancing.
Me and Kaylee, I chose the mask because it blended well with the gold vest and red tie.
was not ready for a picture
I'm bad at posing, my gun looks like it's pointed at her, but that is Zoey, also from Firefly
I'm walking along and I see a familiar face (one that I had not seen since the dance) maybe I had seen her in the vending room before this photo, maybe. Anyway I'm walking along and I see a familiar face in a most appealing position, a legs apart crouching stance that shows off her legs
I'm also bad at cross references (the smiling when I'm supposed to be threatening). Basically, Nathan Filion that plays Captain Reynolds is also Captain Hammer and that is Dr. Horrible. And I'm guessing it's iconic for Dr. Horrible to run into bad luck. But a friend off camera tells me to "menace him" and I'm confused saying "wha? menace? how?....I have a gun? is that what you want?" So I decide to grab him by his jacket
Me, Zoey, and Kaylee who is now an assassin from Marvel that I don't recognize
Favorite picture of me

Music, I completed my CD, but meh, I've compiled a list of songs into a youtube playlist. Go check it out, about two third of them are not the usual artists


Link to Playlist



In other news, I've been busy with college. I'm buried catching up in one particular class. And I feel awkward spending that much time with Naka kon and this one sentence about college. I suppose that's good enough for a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment